Monday, May 19, 2014

Death Guard March

I've gone back to my old Chaos Space Marine project. My first intention was to build a solid 1000 to 1500 points playable army of Emperor's Children, but after finishing the fifth book of the Horus Heresy series, I wanted to mix things a little and decided to expand the army to Death Guard.

I had bought the set of Plague Marines way back, but never got the spark to start with them... until recently. Our little circle of like-minded talented hobbyists put together a small playful painting challenge, where each would have to paint a miniature of their choice within three hours. So I chose to paint one of the Plague Marines, as I had a very clear vision of the colour scheme I would use for it; dirty and weathered white armour, rusty trims and patinated copper, sickly gray skin and bright orange as contrast.

The outcome of the challenge was very promising, considering the time used for one single figure. It was nice change to my routines too, as I've used to spend hours and hours with my previous miniatures. Full of hobby spirit I decided that I would put my Chaos Space Marine project back on track and paint the rest of the seven Plague Marines with the same technique and colour scheme.

Now here's the first four members of the Death Guard, marching on the ruins of some long forgotten battleground, searching for something to stab with their infectious blades...

Death Guard, 4/7

12 comments:

  1. Love it dude! Cant wait to see the army progress. Are there plans for something a little larger? One of those beautiful new mechanicum tanks would make an amazing plague cannon of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work mate. I'm digging the checks you've spotted around the various models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really like the checker patterns on the models. I wonder if you could develop that more. Would be sweet to see more patterns here and there across the dirty armor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too, but I think they work so well because they are such a small flourish here and there, thinking maybe they would be too distracting if they were a lot bigger? Just personal feeling though.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I'm keeping their presence in minimum.

      Delete
  4. Awesome little blighters! And I just love the hand totem, I think I saw exactly the same thing on a John Blanche Chaos Marine depicted in WD in the late 90ies...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's where I kinda borrowed the idea...

      Delete
  5. Dear Kari, those DG are fantastic! Is it possible to have a tutorial or some hints about the colours and techniques?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kari, I second what masterharper said! I'm particularly impressed by the weathering and the texture effect on the armour - just as is the case with John Blanche's 90's marines, by the way (http://www.toycutter.com/2009/04/warhammer-40k-chaos-space-marines-by.html). Is there a chance to get to know what techniques you're using?

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats is exactly what i want mine to look like, if u plz what paint scheme did u use to get the dirty white armour look.

    ReplyDelete